Verbs which use preposition "To" with subject and verb form as per object

Please use my new website 

All lessons from this blog and more are available there

Before I begin, let me thank my student Ram Prakash for giving me idea of this lesson.

Verbs which use preposition "To" with subject and verb form as per object

Consider the verbs "To remember", "To like", "To get". In English, sentences will be formed as follows
I remember, He remembers, They remember ....
I like, He likes, They like ....
I get, He gets, They get ....

As you see, the verb form changes as per the subject in the sentences (I, He, They in above sentences).


In Marathi few verbs are exceptional. For such verbs the sentence structure is different. 

Preposition "To" is used with subject. And the verb form is created as per the gender and multiplicity of object.

"To get" i.e. मिळणे(miLaNe) is one such verb


e.g.

"I get a prize" will be translated like saying "To me a prize gets"
"I get 10 prizes" will be translated like saying "To me 10 prizes get".
Observe that change in verb form from "gets" to "get" when object changed from singular (a prize) to plural (10 prizes) & preposition "To" with subject.

So in Marathi

I get a prize -> To me a prize gets -> मला बक्षिस मिळते (malA bakShis miLate)
I get 10 prizes -> To me 10 prizes get" -> मला १० बक्षिसे मिळतात (malA 10 bakShise miLatAt)

He gets a prize -> To him a prize gets -> त्याला बक्षिस मिळते (malA bakShis miLate)

He gets 10 prizes -> To him 10 prizes get -> त्याला १० बक्षिसे मिळतात (malA 10 bakShise miLatAt)

In past tense

He got a prize -> To him a prize got -> त्याला बक्षिस मिळाले (malA bakShis miLAle)
He got 10 prizes -> To him 10 prizes got -> त्याला १० बक्षिसे मिळाली (malA 10 bakShise miLAlI)

I have listed such verbs below. This list is not complete. There are many more verbs. I have listed commonly used verbs which are on top of my mind right now. I will keep updating list.



Some of these verbs are discussed in separate discussion

1) To get मिळणे (miLaNe)


2) To remember आठवणे AThavaNe
http://kaushiklele-learnmarathi.blogspot.in/2012/07/using-verb-to-remember-in-marathi.html

3) To like आवडणे AvaDaNe
http://kaushiklele-learnmarathi.blogspot.in/2012/06/using-to-like.html
http://kaushiklele-learnmarathi.blogspot.in/2012/07/using-to-like-with-other-verbs.html

4) To want पाहिजे असणे (pAhije asaNe), हवा असणे (havA asaNe)
http://kaushiklele-learnmarathi.blogspot.in/2012/05/using-ver-to-wantto-need.html
http://kaushiklele-learnmarathi.blogspot.in/2012/07/using-to-want-with-other-verbs.html

5) To feel वाटणे vATaNe
http://kaushiklele-learnmarathi.blogspot.in/2013/05/using-to-feel-to-think.html

6) To find (a lost thing) सापडणे (sApaDaNe)
I found my wallet under the bed - मला माझे पाकीट दिवाणाखाली सापडले (malA mAjhe pAkIT divANAkhAlI sApaDale)

7) To become angry - राग येणे rAg yeNe 
She became angry - तिला राग आला (tilA rAg AlA)
He became angry - त्याला राग आला (tyAlA rAg AlA)

8) To agree - मान्य असणे (mAny asaNe)
He agrees to this condition - त्याला ही अट मान्य आहे (tyAlA hI aT mAny Ahe )He agrees to these conditions - त्याला ह्या अटी मान्य आहेत (tyAlA hyA aTI mAny Ahet)



For those who know or are learning German, this will found similar to Dative verbs. The famous language exper Avinash Biniwale had recently written an article about this similarity between German, Marathi and other Indian languages. Read his article चतुर्थीचीं क्रियापदें








Comments